Independent living service
For someone with a disability, the transition from living within a facility or at home with family to an independent living situation often requires on-going support and assistance.
The Independent Living Service assists people with disabilities to access services necessary to achieve goals associated with self-determination, autonomy and integration in the community.
This transition may come after a lengthy period of rehabilitation and recovery in hospital following an accident, for others it is a step from living at home with family or within a facility to a supported independent living situation.
Whatever the case, individuals often need to learn and be supported to carry out skills that enable them to live independently.
Independent Living Service can assist with:
- Assisting with accommodation and transport
- Arranging medical or other appointments
- Acting as an advocate at meetings and appointments
- Community education such as finding vocational training positions
- Social and Personal Development
- Accessing funding for equipment or home maintenance etc.
- Mentoring to assist with communication and life skills
- Assisting people to participate and enjoy recreational and leisure activities
People with a disability and/or family members are encouraged to enquire about eligibility for Independent Living Services.
For enquiries please contact:
Support Net (Kupenga Hao Ite Ora),
Phone: (07) 307 8986 or 0800 262 477